Thursday, June 21, 2007

Feelings...whoa-whoa-whoa...feelings...

Whenever I find myself in a political discussion with one or more of my liberal aquaintances (usually something I'm dragged into kicking and screaming) I notice a pattern...a pattern that is eerily similiar to the same thought processes that is attractive to aspiring cult leaders. That pattern is the choice to feel, with little regard to thinking.

Hell, I feel all kinds of things. I feel like kicking the neighbors dog the next time he leaves a gift on my front porch. I feel like crashing my car into the next moron that cuts me off on the interstate.

I feel a lot of things.

However, I very rarely let those feelings drive me into making decisions. The logical, thinking part of my brain precludes that. Yeah, it would be nice to slap the bejeezus out of the next moron that crosses my path, but how constructive is that? What does it serve, outside of making me feel better for a miniscule amount of time? Not to mention the potential of lawsuits, if not a reverse smackdown.

But I digress...

Unfortunately, two generations have been brought up with the school of thought of going with your feelings...never considering that feelings can betray us, feelings can be twisted by others...feelings can lie to us, disregarding reason and good ol' fashioned logic.

Feelings have their place, don't get me wrong. You can't make any decision that involves others without compassion. But allowing our feelings (or even worse, the feelings others put in us) to control our decision making processes is going to be the downfall of our civilization.

The Democratic Party knows far too well how to manipulate the average Americans feelings. They've turned it into an artform. In the face of overwhelming evidence and cold, hard logic, they still gain more and more members to their logic-defying mindset.

All by appealing to feelings.

Did wonders for the communists in Russia.

Even worse, you have a world-wide death cult that subscribes to the idea that a drunken, child molesting psychopath was the messenger of God's word.

You can drive a semi-truck through the holes of illogic in that insanely entertaining work of fiction commonly known to the western world as the koran. But hey...you feel that it's a holy book, so it must be true. And even if you don't, we should consider all people of the world's feelings, and not point out to them that they believe the words of a genocidal madman.

No, we dare not hurt their feelings.

Feelings.

Bleh.

Whatever I feel is irrelevant. What I KNOW is that you can't fit 10 lbs. of shit in a 5 lb. bag, you can't fill your gas tank with Dr. Pepper and expect it to run, and you sure as hell can't govern by using your 'feelings'.

Feelings can (and are) easily used to enslave us.

Feelings motivate us to murder others.

Giving in to feelings often ends with us doing something that we immediately wish we didn't do. And when we do these impulsive things, pushed onward and upward by our 'feelings', what do our more level headed aquaintances say?

"What were you THINKING?"

And so on, and so on, and so on.

Repeat and rinse.

1 comment:

Daphne said...

Whoa... that was an excellent post! I "feel" exactly the same, so nice to know I'm not alone on the planet.

Gunslinger led me here, oh happy day, I feel good!