Thursday, January 13, 2011

AMY LOUGHNER EMAILS - ARE THEY A HOAX?

BY RONBO

In regards to the AMY LOUGHNER EMAILS posted on this blog: In this case, I have adopted the same level of journalist responsibility as did Mary Mapes and Dan Rather in regards to the documents concerning President Bush's National Guard Service.

A trip down memory lane:

Mary Mapes, the producer fired from CBS News for her role in the 60 Minutes story about President Bush's National Guard service, wrote a book to explain her side of the story. On the November 9, 2005 Good Morning America, Brian Ross and Mapes got into the question of the documents and whether the responsibility was to prove the documents authentic before airing the story, or if any documents could be used until someone else proved them to be false. Mapes maintained that "I'm perfectly willing to believe those documents are forgeries if there's proof that I haven't seen."


| |

But when Ross asked, "isn't it the other way around? Don't you have to prove they're authentic?", Mapes contended: "Well, I think that's what critics of the story would say. I know more now than I did then and I think, I think they have not been proved to be false, yet." Ross pointed out: "Have they proved to be authentic though? Isn't that really what journalists do?" Mapes insisted: "No, I don't think that's the standard."

SOURCE

No comments: