Sunday, July 05, 2015

Why you should stop waving the rainbow flag on Facebook



Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg was one of 26 million who changed his profile picture after the Supreme Court's gay marriage ruling on Friday. (Facebook)
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg was one of 26 million who changed his profile picture after the Supreme Court’s gay marriage ruling on Friday. (Facebook)


"This past weekend, I saw more rainbow flags than I had previously seen in the 26 years of my life combined. Everything – the White House, corporate logos, and especially my Facebook feed – suddenly was covered in the colors of gay pride. Since Friday, an astonishing 26 million people have overlain their profile pictures with semitransparent rainbow stripes, a feature Facebook created to celebrate gay pride after the Supreme Court’s historic ruling in favor of same-sex marriage.
 
But the more flags I saw last weekend, the more uncomfortable I felt." . . .
 

 
. . . "That’s why it wasn’t comforting to see hundreds of my Facebook friends’ profile pictures draped in rainbows. It didn’t feel like they were understanding my struggle; it felt like they were cheapening it, celebrating a victory they had no part in winning." . . .

No comments: